Re: Tor and Privoxy on Mac OS X 10.4.11

On Dec 8, 2007, at 8:20 AM [ December 8 2007 ], phobos@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

On Sat, Dec 08, 2007 at 08:04:53AM -0600, nil.bitbucket@xxxxxxxxx wrote 0.7K bytes in 15 lines about:
: I've been running the Tor, Torbutton, and Privoxy combo on Mac OS X
: for a long time, but when I recently updated to 10.4.11, it stopped
: working, even though it's supposed to start up automatically when I
: login every day. All I got were error messages saying that Privoxy
: was set to a host that wasn't responding.

Do you happen to have these error messages? I too run 10.4.11 and
haven't seen this problem.

No, they only appeared in the browser (Firefox and Camino) when I tried to connect to any site with Tor and Privoxy.

: Finally I uninstalled it and installed the Tor, Privoxy, and Vidalia
: package and it works, but I have to manually turn it on now, since
: there are no startup scripts for Tor and Privoxy with that package.

You can right click on Vidalia in the system tray and choose "Open at
Login".  This will at least start up Tor and Vidalia automatically.

No, that would only start Tor when I start Vidalia. I'd have to make Vidalia a Login Item for it to start automatically.

: Does anyone know what could be causing this problem, and how to fix
: it? I hate using Vidalia when I know Tor and Privoxy can startup
: automatically, and that's the setup I want to go back to and use.

Do you have /Library/StartupItems/Privoxy/Privoxy?

Yes, I've got that.

--
Andrew