Re: IRC privacy with Tor

Quoth scar <scar@xxxxxxxxxx>, on 2007-12-29 20:39:41 -0700:
> when using IRC over Tor, very often my ident is munged into that
> string.  once is understandable.  the peculiar part is how, if i
> change Tor circuits (exit node also) and reconnect, i'm connected
> with that same ident.

What exactly do you mean by "ident"?  If you mean the hostname, then
if that doesn't change with the exit node, something weird is going on
(I would imagine), and more details might be helpful.  But if you mean
the username that precedes the hostname, it may be being transmitted
by your client through the main connection.  That would also be
consistent with seeing similar behavior through other types of
proxies.  (I seem to recall some of this stuff being transmitted
in-band for IRC, but I may be wrong and I can't recall the details
right now.)

   ---> Drake Wilson