Re: Vidalia Bundle and RSS in Thunderbird 3.0

On 12/28/2009 2:35 PM, Andrew Lewman wrote:
> On 12/28/2009 01:18 PM, Andrew Lewman wrote:
>> I'm going to create a vm and load up tb3 to see what issues arise.  It
>> may be that much like firefox, the tb socks support is lacking.
>
> I set this up and tested it.  The TB3 correctly used SOCKS
> localhost:9050 as socks 5 just fine.  It leaked dns, but otherwise the
> requests went over Tor.  The RSS poller has some weird timeout when a
> feed can't be read via Tor.  However, TB3 just left the feed stale if it
> couldn't be updated when tor circuits took longer than 2-3 minutes to
> get the data.

That's pretty much what it does for me, leaves the feed stale (and
useless). I guess I'll have to get a third-party poller and use it in
the open.

> As for mail, I could get imaps, pop3s to work over tor just fine.  There
> were no exit nodes allowing smtp or s-smtp through their exit policies
> when I was testing, so sending mail via tor didn't work (as expected).
> Again, dns leaked locally.

Hrm. So tor automatically blocks smtp connections by default and there
is local leakage of DNS by TB3. Guess it's time to find a new mail
client. ):