Re: [tor-talk] Tor Browser advanced configurativian details

Hi,

On 14.12.2012 03:13, Mytilus wrote:
> At first, why the port number difference between 9050
> in Browser when set to 9051 in Vidalia, is that wrong
> or just some tech specials done by the factory (you)?

Tor Browser is set to the SOCKS proxy, while what you looked up in
Vidalia is the Control Port. That's two different things.

The SOCKS proxy is what applications use to tunnel their communication
through Tor. The Control Port is what Vidalia uses to talk to Tor, for
example to change settings, read the log etc.

> Then next, why the Tor Browser works as good as well,
> since I'm only allow through the firewall run Tor and
> then the Browser, but completely deny Vidalia from go
> out of my firewall, is that OK or have the Vidalia any
> important stuff to do by it self out on the internet,
> if I let it through the firewall?

Tor Browser talks to Tor, Vidalia talks to Tor, only Tor needs to go
through your firewall.

> And last, why the "Unable to connect" often goes up very
> fast (directly when click) but then after a few re-clicks
> it stays longer on wait (some seconds) and then works fine
> but next surfing click the same error again and so on?

I'm not exactly sure I understand, but sounds like "Firefox mystery" to me.

--
Moritz Bartl
https://www.torservers.net/