Re: [tor-talk] Ahmia search engine works normally again

On 08.12.2016 23:39, Alec Muffett wrote:

> For general interest (perhaps to Juha, especially?):
>
> * I am building a 6-node, 24-core cluster, specifically to run an
> Onion-traffic-serving experiment upon.
>
> * It's running a Debian variant - so the results/learnings should be
> generally applicable to Linux - on Raspberry Pi hardware. Total cost ~ £400.
>
> * It's a casual-fun-research thing (rather than a big academic exercise)
> and the current goal is to serve half-a-gigabit from a "single" onion
> address, across ~30 daemons.
>
> * Details and diary are at:
> https://github.com/alecmuffett/drafts-not-complete-not-tested-do-not-use/tree/master/onion-cluster-ideas
>
> Hopefully we should have results by end of January. :-)

Very interesting experiment! Keep us up-to-date please :)

I have no idea what will be the bottleneck of your cluster but it might
be something very surprising.

For instance, years ago I had some exit nodes and it took me several
days to figure out what was the bottleneck of the traffic. There were
plenty of CPU, RAM and bandwidth available but the entropy level of the
VM was close to zero.

Tip: follow your cat /proc/sys/kernel/random/entropy_avail and maybe
apt-get install haveged.

Good luck!

-Juha