Re: [tor-talk] Tor bridge with no traffic

On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 04:11:58PM -0800, Christian Kujau wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Feb 2012 at 15:34, Andreas Krey wrote:
> > They are announced, just not all to the general public. You have to tell
> > your tor client to use bridges; normally it directly talks to (public) relays.
>
> You mean, people can configure their tor-enabled client just to connect to
> a (public) exit-node? Isn't this a privacy issue? what about the
> onion-model? Or maybe I misunderstood what you said.

Sounds like you are thinking that the last hop in the circuit is called
the exit node, and earlier hops in the circuit are called bridges? This
is not so.

The last hop in the circuit is the exit relay. Hops other than the last
are called non-exit relays. The first hop is called the entry relay or
entry guard.

Bridges are unlisted entry relays. They replace the first hop (which
ordinarily would be in the public list of relays and thus easy to find
and block) with one that the user has found through some other process
and explicitly configured.

Maybe you are wanting to be a non-exit relay?

--Roger