Re: [tor-talk] Legal problems: TOR relay & Torrents in .de

Hey Joe,

thanks for sharing!

They're demanding â450 compensation for the alleged sharing of the
movie via BitTorrent. Plus â506 lawyer's fees. So in total we're
talking about â956,-

FOX is working with a German company, ipoque GmbH, that monitors
filesharing platforms. So they've logged my IP (the exit node), the
time stamp, the hash of the file in question and got a court order
that forced my ISP to handover my personal data to them.

Cheers,
Hendrik

On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 7:41 PM, Joe Btfsplk <joebtfsplk@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> I've forgotten the specifics of your OP.  Exactly how much are they
> demanding (Eu / $US)?
>
> Other BIG factor (others familiar w/ European / German laws can comment):
> Do they have any SUBSTANTIAL proof, that a judge / jury would accept as
> reasonable proof, that YOU did something under your country's laws, to make
> you financially liable to the plaintiffs (for anywhere near what they're
> demanding)?  And is the amount enough to make it worth the lawyers' time to
> go to court (how much would the LAWYERS make on a per hr basis, from their
> cut of the awarded amount)?
>
> I'm no expert on legalities in other countries, but ONLY as a general rule,
> in U.S., it's not worth a law firm's time to actually go to court over
> fairly small amts, if working for % of awarded judgment.
> In U.S., I've failed several times to get lawyers to take my cases against
> others on CONTINGENCY, even when I'd likely win, because - as numerous
> lawyers put it, "There simply isn't enough $ involved."
>
> If a law firm is working on a per hour basis (which I'd doubt for this type
> action), then lawyers get paid for time spent, but plaintiffs may well owe
> more than they are awarded.  Most plaintiffs aren't that stupid.
>

> On 2/11/2013 7:11 AM, Hendrik Neumann wrote:
>>
>> Small update:
>>
>> I've snail-mailed them a letter based on what Moritz had posted. They
>> replied with a standardized letter without even commenting on my
>> statements. It's basically saying "Last chance to pay or we'll go to
>> court."
>>
>> So I'm a little unsure whether or not it's now time to actually
>> consult a lawyer or wait until FOX makes it's next move.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Hendrik

Mit freundlichen GrÃÃen,
Hendrik Neumann