[tor-talk] Tor Weekly News â February 19th, 2014

Tor Weekly News                                      February 19th, 2014

Welcome to the seventh issue of Tor Weekly News in 2014, the weekly
newsletter that covers what is happening in the inked [1] Tor community.

   [1]: http://redd.it/1y5y49

Tor 0.2.5.2-alpha is out
------------------------

Roger Dingledine announced [2] the second alpha release in the Tor 0.2.5
series. As well as incorporating âall the fixes from 0.2.4.18-rc and
0.2.4.20, like the âpoor random number generationâ fix and the âbuilding
too many circuitsâ fixâ, this release brings with it several new
features of its own, among them the forced inclusion of at least one
relay capable of the NTor handshake in every three-hop circuit, which
should reduce the chance âthat weâre building a circuit thatâs worth
attacking by an adversary who finds breaking 1024-bit crypto doableâ, as
Roger wrote.

You can read the full changelog in Rogerâs announcement, and download
the new release from the Tor Project website [3].

   [2]: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-talk/2014-February/032150.html
   [3]: https://www.torproject.org/dist/

Tor Browser 3.5.2.1 is released
-------------------------------

A new point release of the Tor Browser Bundle was put out [4] on
February 15th. A change in how Mozilla tags Firefox releases broke the
localization [5] of the browser interface. This release restores proper
behavior for languages other than English.

Apart from the localization fix and the removal of unneeded libraries
from the Windows bundles, no other changes have been made.

   [4]: https://blog.torproject.org/blog/tor-browser-3521-released
   [5]: https://bugs.torproject.org/10895

Help draft a proposal for partnership with the Wikimedia Foundation

The relationship between Tor users and the Wikimedia Foundation, which
operates Wikipedia and related projects, is currently not as good as it
could be: many Tor users feel they should be able to contribute to
Wikipedia anonymously, while many Wikipedia editors are wary of dealing
with a tool that could enable untraceable or unblockable vandalism of
pages and articles.

As a prelude to resolving this conflict, Lane Rasberry has opened a
discussion [6] on the Wikimedia Foundationâs IdeaLab, a forum in which
ideas can be discussed and debated before being collaboratively
developed into full grant proposals. As Lane wrote, âpersons using Tor
(the anonymity network) should be able to create Wikipedia accounts and
contribute to Wikipedia while logged into those accounts. Some technical
problems currently disallow this and some social problems prevent the
technical problems from being addressed. Anyone with a proposal of what
kind of relationship Tor and the Wikimedia movement should have should
describe it here.â

If you are interested in helping to resolve this issue, please see the
IdeaLab page, and add your comments!

   [6]: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:IdeaLab/Partnership_between_Wikimedia_community_and_Tor_community

Only as good as your weakest transport?
---------------------------------------

Delton Barnes pointed out [7] that although the ScrambleSuit pluggable
transport protocol includes a certain amount of protection against
active probing for bridges by censorship systems like the Chinese âGreat
Firewallâ, bridge operators who run more vulnerable protocols like obfs3
alongside ScrambleSuit may be increasing the risk that censors will
discover their relay and block connections to it of any kind.

In reply, Philipp Winter conceded [8] that although the Chinese
censorship system currently seems to block bridges by IP:port tuples,
rather than by IP address alone, the mere presence of an
easily-discoverable pluggable transport protocol (or a public relay) on
a given machine makes it more likely that a censor will be motivated to
try and defeat protections such as those offered by ScrambleSuit. âSo
you are right, only running ScrambleSuit gives your bridge more
protection than running other protocols at the same time â at the cost
of attracting less users, howeverâ, he concluded.

   [7]: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-relays/2014-February/003906.html
   [8]: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-relays/2014-February/003907.html

Miscellaneous news
------------------

The Tails team has published [9] its report for January 2014. A lot is
happening in the growing community of Tails developers. Have a look!

   [9]: https://tails.boum.org/news/report_2014_01/

Qingping Hou sent out the beginnings of a proposal to increase the speed
of connections to Tor Hidden Services by using circuits of only five
hops, and asked the community for feedback [10].

  [10]: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-dev/2014-February/006198.html

Yawning Angel called for help with testing obfsclient, a C++ pluggable
transport client, and clarified the next steps in the development
process [11].

  [11]: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-dev/2014-February/006211.html

David Fifield made available a second updated set of the experimental
Tor Pluggable Transport Bundle with tor-fw-helper, which fixes several
of the errors encountered in the first version. [12].

  [12]: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-qa/2014-February/000338.html

Nick Mathewson called for help with reviewing proposal 227, which
involves âextending the Tor consensus document to include digests of the
latest versions of one or more package files, to allow software using
Tor to determine its up-to-dateness, and help users verify that they are
getting the correct softwareâ [13].

  [13]: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-dev/2014-February/006230.html

Efforts to include the FTE protocol in the Tor Pluggable Transport
Bundles have taken a step forward, as Kevin P. Dyer announced [14] the
release of a patch including fteproxy that not only works, but also
builds deterministically, in keeping with the Tor Projectâs focus on
build security [15].

  [14]: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-dev/2014-February/006223.html
  [15]: https://blog.torproject.org/blog/deterministic-builds-part-one-cyberwar-and-global-compromise

Rusty Bird announced [16] the release of corridor [17], a Tor traffic
whitelisting gateway. corridor will turn a Linux system into a router
that âallows only connections to Tor relays to pass through (no clearnet
leaks!)â. However, unlike transparent proxying solutions, âclient
computers are themselves responsible for torifying their own traffic.â

  [16]: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-talk/2014-February/032152.html
  [17]: https://github.com/rustybird/corridor

One relay operator was looking for an init.d script able to start
multiple tor instances. Johannes FÃrmann pointed out [18] that one was
available in the torservers.net Git repository [19].

  [18]: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-relays/2014-February/003915.html
  [19]: https://github.com/torservers/setup-automation/blob/master/config/initd-tor

TorBirdy, the Tor-enabling extension for the Thunderbird mail client,
currently disables the automated account configuration system for
security reasons. Progress is being made [20] in changing the behavior
to make it fit the expectations of Tor users.

  [20]: https://bugs.torproject.org/1083

Andrea Shepard submitted seven status reports, covering her activity
since July 2013 [21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27].

  [21]: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-reports/2014-February/000455.html
  [22]: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-reports/2014-February/000456.html
  [23]: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-reports/2014-February/000457.html
  [24]: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-reports/2014-February/000458.html
  [25]: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-reports/2014-February/000459.html
  [26]: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-reports/2014-February/000460.html
  [27]: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-reports/2014-February/000461.html

Tor help desk roundup
---------------------

Users often ask for help updating their Tor Browser Bundle. Some users
download and try to run their new Tor Browser without first closing
their current Tor Browser. This causes an error message, since Tor is
already running. The Tor Browser Bundle update is not an upgrade that
can be applied while Tor Browser is still running. Users must close
their current Tor Browser before running their newly downloaded Tor
Browser Bundle.

Upcoming events
---------------

Feb 19 18:30 | Talk: âTor: Lessons Learned over the past 12 monthsâ
             | ReykjavÃk University M101, Iceland
             | http://en.ru.is

Feb 20  9:00 | Digital Safety for Journalists â Â day hands-on workshop
             | Grand Hotel, ReykjavÃk, Iceland

Feb 21  9:30 | Tor public hack day
             | Grand Hotel, ReykjavÃk, Iceland

This issue of Tor Weekly News has been assembled by Lunar, harmony, and
Matt Pagan.

Want to continue reading TWN? Please help us create this newsletter.
We still need more volunteers to watch the Tor community and report
important news. Please see the project page [28], write down your
name and subscribe to the team mailing list [29] if you want to
get involved!

  [28]: https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/TorWeeklyNews