Re: [tor-talk] Tor -> VPN Clarification

On 2/2/15, Joe Btfsplk <joebtfsplk@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 2/1/2015 4:17 PM, Zenaan Harkness wrote:
>> Good luck, Zenaan
> Thanks Zenaan, for detailed reply.
> Knowing that this is  only a mailing list - not a Tor or VPN wiki, your
> diagrams & scenarios further show (to me) how complex these issues are.

Indeed they are.

> In spite of your & some others' excellent attempts, it may be so complex
> that unless one is already an expert, mailing list answers won't be
> enough to educate most users.
> Meaning, properly educating users  on Tor (TBB) and VPNs - or anything
> else -  to boost TBB's resistance against more powerful adversaries.
>
> It may be that for now, Tor Project doesn't suggest using anything like
> VPNs?

If you don't feel competent setting up sshd and ssh tunneling say, or
managing the security updates for your own virtual private server, or
customizing your firewall and TOR configuration so you are certain
about what's travelling through what and across what, then yes, you
are likely to shoot yourself in the foot and is better to just use TBB
or whonix/ tails etc.

And unfortunately yes, there's no simple way to say "just do this
extra step and get extra privacy or anonymity or safety" - if there
were, it would be in the Tor FAQ, which you have read haven't you?

That FAQ -does- have some hints about next steps you might consider
taking to improve the ecosystem.

I suggest small(ish) steps and getting comfortable with each step as
you go. Just running VirtualBox may be a significant step for you, if
you have not done that before.

Good luck,
Zenaan