Re: [tor-talk] TorBirdy prevents Thunderbird loading multi-OS bug: Is TorBirdy dev. dead?

Jacob Appelbaum wrote:
On 2/24/15, KevinB@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <KevinB@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
This issue has been ongoing for months now.

I think I read Ioerror write he isn't interested in fixing the bug for
Windows, but Sukhbir is willing (yet unable to even reproduce the bug).
This bug is NOT only for Windows, it's for many OSes.

Is TorBirdy going the way of Vidalida?

All of these bug reports seem to be the same issue?

#14099 (Windows 7 & FreeBSD)
#14130 (Xubuntu)
#14007 (Windows 7 & Ubuntu)
#13722 (LinuxMint)

TorBirdy development is not dead by any means - relevant updates will
be posted to the bugs as progress is made. I've personally not been
able to reproduce this bug - which is part of the issue with solving
it.

  and #13982.

Yeah, it's a huge problem - happened to a friend, and ultimately led to me not redistributing TorBirdy.

But solving this bug is not as straightforward as it seems, as Jake points out. Especially for Windows, it's not always easy to know what else the user is running and where the conflict might be. In my friend's experience, it completely broke Thunderbird, and he had to back up his emails and reinstall. When that happens, it's not even easy to figure out what version of Thunderbird they were running.

Really curious as to the reason this bug happens, and how often, because right now it seems like kind of a mystery.

~Griffin

--
âSometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple.â
â Dr. Seuss