Re: Tor 0.0.9.1 crashed

Roger Dingledine wrote:

On Fri, Dec 31, 2004 at 09:06:29AM +0200, Giorgos Pallas wrote:

Today, the server crashed again. Again, the error message seems to have to do with dns, but is another from yesterday's error.

Dec 31 07:50:01.038 [err] dns.c:399: dns_cancel_pending_resolve: Assertion resolve->pending_connections failed; aborting.

This could be triggered from any number of situations, and it will be
really hard to track down without more information.

Do you have a core file for us, or a back-trace from gdb or something?
If not, can you ulimit -c unlimited so you have one for next time?

I do not quite know how to do these things... I know gdb is the debugger, but I don't know how to use it... Giving command 'ulimit' to my server I get 'unlimited'.

What platform are you running on? Are you sure the version was 0.0.9.1?
Can you trigger this behavior? If not, how often does it occur by chance?
Do you have any debug-level logs, by any chance? Can you make some for
us and try to trigger the behavior again?

My platform is:
CPU: processor : 0
vendor_id : AuthenticAMD
cpu family : 5
model : 8
model name : AMD-K6(tm) 3D processor
stepping : 12
cpu MHz : 400.923
cache size : 64 KB
fdiv_bug : no
hlt_bug : no
f00f_bug : no
coma_bug : no
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 1
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr mce cx8 pge mmx syscall 3dnow k6_mtrr
bogomips : 799.53

with 128 MB RAM, debian linux with 2.4.26 kernel... And yes, I am sure that my tor server is 0.0.9.1. As for the debug logs, I will try to give you some, although it will be difficult, since the space required is vast: The debug.log file is growing at about 3MB/sec ...

Tor crashes about 4-5 times a day, without me being able to connect it to some special event happening at the time of the crash.

Dec 30 15:40:57.489 [warn] fetch_from_buf_socks(): Socks version 19 not recognized. (Tor is not an http proxy.)
Dec 30 15:40:57.511 [warn] connection_ap_handshake_process_socks(): Fetching socks handshake failed. Closing.

What are you doing to your Tor socksport to cause this warning
repeatedly? You (or somebody) is connecting to it with some application
that is speaking a protocol other than socks.

How can we see which application or who gets connected?

Dec 30 15:46:29.338 [warn] connection_dns_reached_eof(): Read eof. Worker died unexpectedly.

This is weird. Dns workers are extra processes we spawn to call
gethostbyname() (that is, do dns resolves), since that function waits to
return until it has its answer, so we can't run it in the main process.
But typically they don't just die for no reason. Are you killing processes
randomly on your machine? :) Are you nearly out of memory? Hm.

Killing processes randomly? ...Oh yes, this perl script of mine...;-)
Of course not! And although I do not have plenty of memory, my swap is constantly at about 2-3% of usage...

We'll find out, don't worry!

Giorgos
ps. And something last: Since I installed Tor, my cron deamon is just dying occasionaly... I wonder why would that be...