To: <or-talk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, January 28, 2008 9:39 PM
Subject: Re: How to remove some useless nodes

On Jan 26, 2008 10:08 PM, Kraktus <kraktus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 26/01/2008, 孙超 <g06b08120301@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> We in China use tor mainly for avoiding Great Fire Wall, which is a > very
> strong internet censorship software operated by the government. So, if
You can add
ExcludeNodes NodeName1, NodeName2
to your torrc, where the NodeName1, etc. are the names of Chinese exit
nodes that you are aware of.  However, you much disallow each Chinese
node separately; you can't exclude by country.

It would be interesting if tor exits used passive connection
monitoring to figure out if they are on a content modifying or
censoring network, then made a note of it in the directory. Users
could then choose to avoid that exit while people interested in
censorship or neutrality would have a shortlist to do research from.

Some types of censoring are pretty subtle and couldn't easily be
detected this way, but the Great Firewall is pretty obvious.