Re: How to exactly determine country of an exit node

Nico Weinreich schrieb:
> Olaf Selke schrieb:
>> I supposed all.de using a stale GeoIP db version.
>> https://torstatus.blutmagie.de using a more recent GeoIP database
>> correctly shows GB for this tor node.
>>

> OK. Could it be that this ip address changed the owner in the past and
> because of this your GeoIP db shows the correct country and all.de shows
> the wrong country?

yes, I think so. Since the new /26 GB net is part of the much larger /20
DE network I assume it to be recently assigned to a customer from the uk.

> I thought about to cache the whois query for an ip
> address locally in a file. So I have to renew the local cache after a
> given time to be sure, changes in ripe db are taken into account.

why do you want to reinvent the wheel instead of sticking with Maxminds
GeoIP db?

> BTW: do the tor status homepages show the available servers in real time?

yes it does, as well as the other tns servers are supposed to ;-)

Olaf