Re: Tor relay on vserver exeeding numtcpsock

2011/1/13 Olaf Selke <olaf.selke@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> On 12.01.2011 22:02, coderman wrote:
>> On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 7:57 AM, Klaus Layer <klaus.layer@xxxxxx> wrote:
>>> "Error creating network socket: No buffer space available"
>>>
>>> errors. The numtcpsocks parameter limit is set to 550 on the vserver. Before
>>> asking the ISP to increase the value I would like to ask you what a reasonable
>>> value Âof this parameter would be.
>>
>> 550 is ridiculous. it should be at least 4096, more if they are accomodating.
>
> here's some data for the machine running my four nodes:
>
> anonymizer2:~# netstat -tn | wc -l
> 54157
> anonymizer2:~# netstat -tn | grep ESTABLISHED | wc -l
> 30708
>
> regards Olaf

Well, I don't think a cheap VPS is capable of creating this much
connections anyways. I got a relay with a limit of 800kb/sec (I don't
think a cheap VPS can do more traffic due to traffic limitations) and
I got this:

jan@puerta:~$ netstat -tn | wc -l
1002
jan@puerta:~$ netstat -tn | grep ESTABLISHED | wc -l
976

But I would agree that diversity is needed and good, and there are
plenty of ISPs out there. I would advice to look for a "smaller" one.
Those are often more helpful if you have got some special requests.

best regards,
Jan