Re: geeez...

Moritz Bartl <moritz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 12.01.2011 22:05, Fabian Keil wrote:
> > Some of my equipment got seized a few months ago.
>
> Good luck on getting it back then!

Thanks.

> > I'm also not sure how the police would try to seize equipment
> > and fail (assuming the equipment is actually there).
>
> Explosives? ;-)
> Did you run a Tor exit at home? I'm not sure if they come and seize your
> home computer if the Tor server is hosted in a data center. Olaf seems
> not to have run into big trouble yet (or maybe he was quick on replacing
> the hardware).

The exit node that triggered the raid is hosted by Strato.

I'm running it there since 2006. The friendly local police man
who usually deals with the occasional abuse cases has a generic
description of Tor that includes the IP addresses of my exit nodes
and can forward that information to whomever is interested without
having to contact me every time.

This arrangement worked rather well so far.

For reasons unknown to me the investigation that lead to the
raid was handled by a different police department, though, and
apparently the police men involved prefer to "investigate" a bit
differently. They also didn't seem that fond of Tor in general.

Fabian