Re: [tor-talk] On the Theory of Remailers

On 7 January 2013 15:53, David H. Lipman <DLipman@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I hope you fully elaborate on how remailers are used for abuse.
>
> --
> Dave

I intend to, but I've never been the receiving end of remailer abuse,
so I've only got academic knowledge.  I had a few ideas I was
brainstorming about this:

1) a shared, hashed list of emails to provide a 'global' opt-out of
emails for all participating nodes
2) For plaintext mails, adding a spam filter on outgoing mails
3) some form of 'status' remailers could publish where a client could
see that their email was either delivered, flagged as spam by a
remailer's exit policy, or just never recieved.

And advantage of 3 is that it helps with the reliability quesiton: did
my message get delivered? A disadvantage is it requires a client to
remember a GUID of a message that would tie the user to the message
(very bad).

That's all assuming you mean abuse from the perspective of the
recipient, and not abuse form the perspective of the remailer
operator.

-tom