Re: [tor-talk] Attracting more community input on Tor issues

Moritz Bartl:
> Hi Raynardine,
>
> On 27.01.2013 04:47, Raynardine wrote:
>> I think better engagement with the Tor community would be easier with a
>> StatusNet instance run as a hidden service.
>> I also think that a mailing list mirror or relay run as a Tor hidden
>> service might encourage more Tor users to subscribe.
>
> Why? I think this is a common misunderstanding about what hidden
> services do: They provide anonymity for operators, at the expense of
> adding an additional 3 hops.
>
> Users can already be anonymous (eg. on our mailing list or identi.ca or
> some other StatusNet instance) just by using Tor, and since Torproject
> would be the (known) operators, it does not really make any sense.

Agreed, besides you want it to be indexed by search engines so you can
find stuff with them.

Sensitive content shouldn't be posted to the mailing list in the first
place so a hidden service wouldn't add any protection for users either
in that regard.

--
scarp