Re: [tor-talk] Hidden Service Hosting (Free experimental, offer)

Hi Larry,

No problem, best to email me privately (please use another title,
anything with [tor-talk] in the title is put into my mailing list
folder which gets hundreds of messages so I might not see it otherwise.

So far there has been a pretty decent take up of my offer, made a
couple of virtual machines today for a nice variety of use cases,
can't wait to see if more people come forward as I've got plenty of
hardware power left.

(again if anyone wants one, email me privately what specs you need and
I'll try to get it online within a few hours for you. Use something
other than [tor-talk] in the title please so it goes to the right folder.)

Larry Brandt:
> I'm interested but a slow mover.  Work sometimes gets in my way.
> I am putting together pages for a hidden site but I don't think I
> can be ready to put it on line til month's end.  It will be a
> legal site everywhere.  This is a wonderful offer Thomas.  Hope
> someone takes you up on it. Larry Brandt
>

> Just wanted to point out that I think it's awesome Thomas is doing
> this! Buy him a beer if you see him.
>
> Tom
>

> Thomas White schreef op 02/01/15 om 09:42:
>
>> Hey all,
>>
>> So following my other mail, I just want to offer people on this
>> mailing list a chance to test something out before I go into the
>> wider public with it.
>>
>> I have been reviewing some ways in which to offer "hosting"
>> solutions for hidden services, and although there are ways to do
>> like regular shared hosting environments by isolating users on
>> an apache server for example, I feel a little experimental way
>> to give people more freedom is to assign individual VPS's which
>> are accessed via a separate .onion over SSH. For example, the HS
>> address would be example1*.onion but to SSH into it, for
>> security, would use a different address such as
>> sshaddress*.onion. This ensures no user of the service would
>> know the true IP of the server it is hosted on and allows for
>> shared environments without putting others at risk.
>>
>> If anyone wants to test this out with me, I am offering the VPS
>> for free for a few weeks/months so I can get the architecture
>> right and fine tune the setup. All the traffic on the VPS is
>> automatically routed through Tor so IP leaks won't be a huge
>> problem, but of course you still maintain responsibility for the
>> security of your machine and whatever you install on it. The use
>> cases are unlimited but for obvious reasons it must be legal
>> under British & Swedish law (feel free to ask beforehand but if
>> it is legal I will defend it to the best of my ability).
>>
>> If you'd like to take up this offer and try it out please email
>> me privately (my key is below). I ask that if you wish to
>> request one, please mention anything specific like RAM/CPU/Hard
>> disk requirements (no bandwidth limitations) so I can
>> appropriately assign them. For now unfortunately only debian
>> installs will be available and nothing except sshd will come
>> preconfigured on the VPS so if you aren't familiar with the
>> command line on debian you may not find this useful. Also any
>> custom onion address you want please keep it to 7 characters or
>> below for now as my GPU is really on it's last limb after
>> generating over 1.4 million keys.
>>
>> I offer no guarantees on the availability of this, nor do I take
>>  responsibility for it, this is an entirely experimental project
>> and I am hoping any participants take up this offer to perhaps
>> mirror/reverse proxy their blogs, or of course bring any
>> interesting ideas to the table. All feedback on it is welcome
>> too

> [...]

- --
Activist, anarchist and a bit of a dreamer.

PGP Keys: key.thecthulhu.com
Current Fingerprint: E771 BE69 4696 F742 DB94 AA8C 5C2A 8C5A 0CCA 4983
Key-ID: 0CCA4983
Master Fingerprint: DDEF AB9B 1962 5D09 4264 2558 1F23 39B7 EF10 09F0
Key-ID: EF1009F0

Twitter: @CthulhuSec
XMPP: thecthulhu at jabber.ccc.de
XMPP-OTR: 4321B19F A9A3462C FE64BAC7 294C8A7E A53CC966