Re: [tor-talk] Promote Tor and Hidden Services as an anti-corruption tool for law enforcement agencies and others

On 1/5/15 6:42 PM, justrandom@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Here is my idea:
>
> In order to strengthen the diversity of Tor users and to emphasize a
> good use case of Tor and Hidden Services, we could promote it as an
> anti-corruption and crime reporting tool for law enforcement agencies
> and large corporations.
GlobaLeaks, that use Tor Hidden Service, is already being used for such
purposes by Civil Society Players such as Transparency International to
fight corruption in Italy & Pistaljka to fight corruption in Serbia.

Have a look at various implementations (and much more coming, also in
that direction of anti-corruption, also with anti-corruption authorities
and public agencies for internal use):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GlobaLeaks#Implementations

Please consider that the use-case of Whistleblowing for corruption
fighting is a quite complicated topic, with multidisciplinary knowledge
required, quite deep and articulated "questionnaires" to be provided to
the Whistleblowers that shall be adjusted depending on the law and the
actions.

Other than very structured questionnaires (where at GL we're putting at
lot of effort to improve the form builder and default submission
databases, useful for different whistleblowing purposes) you will also
need to consider sensitive "ethical" questions.

It wouldn't be considered "ethical" to push for anonymous whistleblowing
by a crowd to the Law Enforcements of any kind of "unsolicited,
free-text tip" .

It would be considered "ethical" to push for anonymous whistleblowing of
very structured qeustionnaires going trough independent anti-corruption
authorities or anti-corruption NGOs that would eventually, at a later
stage, decide whenever it's better to involve a lawyer, a media or law
enforcement.

--
Fabio Pietrosanti (naif)
HERMES - Center for Transparency and Digital Human Rights