Re: [tor-talk] Tor -> VPN Clarification

On 01/30/2015 06:48 PM, grarpamp wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 30, 2015 at 7:54 PM, Mirimir <mirimir@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> JonDoNym / JAP
>
> I'm seeing references to this tool pop up recently in various
> places. Keep in mind the controversie from years ago
> and read the label on the tin carefully. That's not to say
> it's not fit for use once you understand its fitness.
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Java_Anon_Proxy

That is a concern. And although they've arguably addressed it through
diversification in multiple jurisdictions, they're upfront about
focusing on business-class pseudonymity.

In anonymity space, they are far closer to VPNs than to Tor, I think.
Also, their mixes are fixed. So as with VPNs, there's a one-to-one
mapping of entry and exit IPs. Furthermore, their userbase is much
smaller than for Tor and popular VPN services.