Re: [tor-talk] Tor -> VPN Clarification

On 01/30/2015 05:27 AM, Squeak wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> Thanks for the prompt replies, they are really helpful.  The image you
> posted Bill Berry was especially illuminating, thanks!
>
> So VPN -> Tor is what I'm currently doing with Tunnelblick and TBB, but
> could somebody detail how and with which programs you would achieve Tor
> -> VPN please?    I'm having a little trouble visualising how that would
> work.

With TBB, the SocksPort is 127.0.0.1:9150. So in order to route the VPN
through Tor, you add two options to your Tunnelblick configuration:

socks-proxy 127.0.0.1 9150 /some-path/up
socks-proxy-retry

The "up" (user-password) file is undocumented, and doesn't actually need
to contain valid information, just two arbitrary strings:

foo
bar

> A follow-up question about the Tunnelblick set up, if someone does
> directly attack my connection and somehow manages to crack the VPN
> encryption they are only going to see that I'm using Tor.  Is that correct?

Yes, they'll just see encrypted connections to Tor entry guards.