Re: [tor-talk] Tor -> VPN Clarification

On Fri, Jan 30, 2015, at 12:27 PM, Squeak wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> Thanks for the prompt replies, they are really helpful.  The image you
> posted Bill Berry was especially illuminating, thanks!
>
> So VPN -> Tor is what I'm currently doing with Tunnelblick and TBB, but
> could somebody detail how and with which programs you would achieve Tor
> -> VPN please?    I'm having a little trouble visualising how that would
> work.
>
> A follow-up question about the Tunnelblick set up, if someone does
> directly attack my connection and somehow manages to crack the VPN
> encryption they are only going to see that I'm using Tor.  Is that
> correct?

Yes, as long as the Tor *client* (Torbrowser) is running locally, the
connection *to* the Tor network is encrypted with Tor's encryption and
from that point of view it makes no difference if that connection is
direct or via a VPN ( VPN > Tor).
 If you run Tor > VPN, the connection *out of* the tor network is only
 encrypted with the VPN encryption and so vulnerable to sniffing by the
 VPN provider or a theoretical cracker of their encryption: if the
 traffic or the provider can identify you, you've lost anonymity with
 respect to the final destination.
 The worst case is if the Tor *client* is run remotely and you connected
 a normal browser to it via a VPN. Then you are entirely at the mercy of
 the VPN provider and their encryption from the point of view of
 deniability should you be investigated for some reason.

GD

--
http://www.fastmail.com - Choose from over 50 domains or use your own