Re: [tor-talk] Escape NSA just to enter commercial surveillance?

On Fri, 15 Jan 2016 19:36:24 +0000
Ben Tasker <ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > Yes it does, unless the proxy server 'shares' information with
> > facebook.
>
> By using a proxy, you're placing trust in the proxy operator, both to
> have configured things appropriately (I've seen some advertised as
> anonymous where X-Forwarded-For has been left enabled, deliberately
> or otherwise) and not to be actively malicious (i.e MiTM), or a
> honeypot run by another entity you don't trust.

	Well you can come up with personal anecdotal evidence about one
	misconfigured service or two. And yes, obviously, you are
	'trusting' the proxy operator.

	Fact remains : in the vast majority of cases a single ordinary
	proxy will prevent a company like facebook from
	learning where you are or who you are.

	I think VPNs are routinely used by people who share files -
	something considered a 'crime' by the criminal mafia knonw as
	'government' - and yet the identity of those people isn't
	compromised.

	...and using the bittorrent network is more risky than logging
	into NSA-Facebook.

	...and notice how the tor project isn't too interested in
	protecting people who do file sharing from the criminal western
	governments.

	https://blog.torproject.org/blog/bittorrent-over-tor-isnt-good-idea

	""don't run Bittorrent over Tor". We've been saying for years
	not to run Bittorrent over Tor, because the Tor network can't
	handle the load; "

> With the HS, you're trusting Tor. Advance as many theories about the
> US Govts involvement as you like, but you're unlikely to convince me
> they'd sacrifice the outwardly displayed principles to help Facebook.

	I didn't explicitly say "to help facebook".

	My point here is that connecting to facebook through tor
	doesn't make sense, except perhaps in some twisted use case
	like CIA agent in 'oppressed regime'. Then again, that's the
	reason why tor exists, not to help subjects of western
	'democracies'.

> > whereas tor is magically protected from compromise.
>
> No, but in Facebook's case you'd need to compromise the HS's private
> key and obtain a publicly trusted TLS cert issued for that HS.
>
> Not impossible, but certainly challenging.

	It all depends on who the 'attacker' is and what he wants to
	know.

	Again, hiding your location from facebook is easy. And  likely
	pointless too, since facebook's business is to spy on their
	users. You may be able to log into facebook using your real
	name and a proxied address but what does that accomplish,
	exactly?