1 Mb d/l on startup.. can this be avoided?

Upon startup Tor downloads around 1 mb of stuff.. which I suspect is the network/circuit information. My ISP limit per day is around 12 Mb traffic up/down a day and I normally boot up my box 3-4 times a day. Ans i get this 1 mb overhead everytime.

What is contained in this 1 Mb of traffic?
Is there anyway to stop/reduce this startup traffic?
Can i not reuse what was downloaded only a few hours back?

Regards