Re: [tor-talk] Hiding stuff

On 07/13/2012 06:13 PM, antispam06@xxxxxxx wrote:
On Fri, Jul 13, 2012, at 16:38, Praedor Atrebates wrote:
My main interest in emulators and/or VMs is to be able to use tor
browser but also leave some of the add-ons activated (javascript, flash)
and STILL defeat tracking.  Tor gives you ip X and the VM provides a
totally bogus IP address even when tor is sidestepped by javascript or
flash.  That is my wish/desire anyway.  There are simply too many
websites that are unusable without javascript and/or flash activated but
I'd still like to be able to use them without losing anonymity.
Interesting. Could you expand a little bit about theese emulators? Don't
they overload the machine? Are they crossplatform?

I haven't checked on crossplatform as I only do this in linux. I am currently playing with Virtualbox but have used VMware player (I DO know that VMware player is available for windows too so you could run windows or linux inside it - but getting a transparent proxy setup in a windows VM is not in my toolbox. It's fairly easy and part of the distro in linux.)

I have more than enough CPU (it's an i7) and loads of RAM and HDD space so I'm not concerned about that, certainly not for browsing. I'm using Damn Small Linux as my starting point in the VM - it only about 1GB in size. As for an emulator...actually I don't have experience beyond Wine (not appropriate) and a little of Dosbox (also not appropriate).