Re: [tor-talk] GoldBug.sf.net: Encrypted Messenger

On Sat, Jul 27, 2013 at 6:32 AM, grarpamp <grarpamp@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 26, 2013 at 11:43 PM, Thomas Asta <thomasasta@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Messenger with Multi-Encryptio:
>>
>> http://goldbug.sourceforge.net/
>>
>> please test over Tor and is there a way to create a Tor integrated chat
>> server for it?
>>
>> Anyone wanting to exchange keys?
>
> FYI: I've seen this 'press release' (snippet included below) and
> at least two complete unknowns to me namedropping it. That
> and there is no mention of it on eff.org or ccc.de and barely
> any on google. I don't mean to question anyone's project,
> but if someone from EFF/CCC would like to confirm this
> 'in conjunction' bit... that would help bring the sense of
> this project and it's 'release' full circle for the community.

I would be pretty surprised if the EFF were behind the press release
you mention.  EFF press releases are always written in very good
English, and that press release is not; nor is the website.  It seems
very unlikely to me that the EFF would let a project like this go live
without making sure the press release was idiomatic and grammatical.

And as you note, it seems EXTREMELY unlikely that the EFF would be
involved in a project like this without linking to it from their blog,
website, or twitter account.

(Finally, remember: don't run binaries from people you don't know.)

peace,
--
Nick