Re: [tor-talk] evidence that Tor isn't "amoral"?

Thanks for your detailed response Speak Freely and everyone that responded,
too.

That Wired article was quite helpful.

And I agree that the term "amoral" is a poor choice in making an argument.
It is not the correct word in this context.  I think my friend meant
immoral, but that is problematic as the meaning of immoral can be
subjective.

Here's what I ended up writing as a rebuttal to my friend's criticism:
=====
I do not believe that the majority of Tor traffic is "amoral" (by which I
assume you mean criminal activity like sexual exploitation?).  There has
been a lot of misinformation in the media reports of research projects.

Here's a good article from Wired:
No, Department of Justice, 80 Percent of Tor Traffic Is Not Child Porn
http://www.wired.com/2015/01/department-justice-80-percent-tor-traffic-child-porn/

More background on the Tor blog:
https://blog.torproject.org/blog/some-thoughts-hidden-services

I should say that this mostly discusses Hidden Services. Hidden Services
are a small amount of the total traffic on the Tor network.

There does not seem to be sound data on what types of traffic flow through
Exit node.  Collecting such data would violate the principles of operating
an Exit.  Some researchers have done this, but I think the data collected
is too limited to provide an accurate picture.
====

Thanks,
Drew