Re: Some of my observations on runing new alpha version of Tor

Przemyslaw Orzechowski @ 2007/06/13 12:46:
> [...]
> Event Id:        7023
> Date:           2007-06-10
> Time:                13:12:46
> User:             None
> Computer:       xxx
> Service "Tor Win 32 Service" terminated, following error occured:
> In the service occured an exception during access control demand.
> --
> im not sure if the translation of the description field is clear
> enough and completly correct
> now for the rest
> first of all i didnt notice the problem with stable bundle when
> creating the service thru vidalia.
> as it turned out vidalia creates the service somewhat different than
> tor when called from commandline
> Vidalia creates service with current user credentials?
> not completly sure bout that, but when you inspect the service (then
> go to login tab it states that the service runs with credentials of
> local system account (upper option checked)
> when creating the service with Tor from comand line the lower option
> is selected and account data for LocalService is present
> one more thing that is different is that when creating the service
> with following command line >tor.exe --service install -options -f
> c:\torrc ControlPort 9051 all options are surrounded with "" ie
> service path looks something like this "C:\Program Files\Tor\tor.exe"
> --nt-service "-f" "c:\torrc" "ControlPort" "9051" when created with
> vidalia it looks like this
> "C:\Program Files\Tor\tor.exe" --nt-service -f c:\torrc ControlPort 9051
> but i'm not sure if this is critical (no logs from tor when i try to
> start it with this tor service call)
> just the log entry i mentioned earlier
> next try installing the service without -options and placing torrc in
> localservice application data tor directory with with my version ow
> windows is
> C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Dane aplikacji\tor
> tor service installed with following command: C:\Program Files\Tor>tor
> --service install
> Running on a Post-Win2K OS, so we'll assume that the LocalService
> account exist
> s.
> IMPORTANT NOTE:
>    The Tor service will run under the account "NT
> AUTHORITY\LocalService".  Th
> is means
>    that Tor will look for its configuration file under that
>    account's Application Data directory, which is probably not
>    the same as yours.
> Done with CreateService.
> Service installed successfully
> Service failed to start : W us│udze wyst╣pi│ wyj╣tek podczas obs│ugi
> ┐╣dania ko
> ntroli.
> Thats all what i get in commandline window servicepath is as follows
> "C:\Program Files\Tor\tor.exe" --nt-service login credentials of
> localservice
> in system log are 3 entries about
> 1. succesfull start signal sent to process

ok, you want the torrc to reside in "C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Dane aplikacji\tor\".  you also want the "log on" option to use the LocalService account.  so i would:
1.) close vidalia & stop tor, make sure no tor.exe is running
2.) remove the tor service with command "tor --service remove"
3.) reinstall the tor service with command "tor --service install"
now you should check in the service properties that the command line is correct ("path to executable"):
""C:\Program Files\Tor\tor.exe" --nt-service"
if it doesn't look just like this, then maybe there is a bug with "tor -install".  you can manually edit the "path to executable" by using regedit and navigating to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\tor and then editing the "ImagePath" string so it doesn't have improper quotes, etc.
you also want to put all the options in torrc, including that rogue "ControlPort 9051" that was being put in the command line.

now, you will have a cleanly configured tor service with the torrc, cached-routers, cached-status, etc. in the "C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Dane aplikacji\tor\" directory.

> here are contents of my torrc file that caused the error)
> ---
> SocksPort 9050 # what port to open for local application connections
> SocksListenAddress 127.0.0.1 # accept connections only from localhost
> Log debug file C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Tor.log.txt
> ControlPort 9051
> Nickname popo-test
> ---
> contents of logile after the service failed none the logfile is not even
> created
> when i remove Nickname line everything starts normally no error
> messages and logfile looks as follows

so it sounds like there is a problem with the Nickname option?  according to the manpage this option can only use characters [a-zA-Z0-9], so that hyphen is invalid.  i get the same error 7023 when trying that nickname, but everything works OK if i use "popotest"

<snip>