Re: [tor-talk] Until there's a REAL effing way to communicate, that evey1 can use, I'm DONE

On Jun 18, 2013, at 9:47 AM, Cat S wrote:

> I don't want to re-hash _years_ old debates, please read the bug report links and other links I posted to old tor-talk threads.

Bug reports? Email bug reports? Tor bug reports?

> That will explain why I and many others feel there should be an official Tor forum.

That there should be a forum I am not questioning. I'm just wanting clarification on what's wrong with email. You asserted, numerous times, that email sucks for this community but never explained why. I fail to understand how reading old bug reports would clarify this for me.

> TL;DR: Newbs won't use mailing-lists;

Newbs to what, Tor? Why won't they use mailing lists? Personal preference, lack of skill or something else?

> mailing-lists are a entry barrier to newbs getting help.

Why? Just trying to understand the "barrier" aspect.

> TBB is geared for newbs, yet we don't try to help them in an efficient and meaningful way.

And TBB is....?

> And I never suggested the mailing-lists should go away, the problem is mailing-lists only help a small sub-set of TBB users, those that don't really need basic newbish help.

Are you saying that newbs don't *like* email, preferring forum-type interfaces instead? Is there research on this? Or do you have only anecdotal evidence?

Personally, there is enough variation in the mechanisms and functioning of the various forums to which I subscribe that I vastly prefer the consistency of email, filtered right into mailboxes I can peruse without missing a thing. No need to "subscribe" to threads. It just works.

But do explain how email is a barrier to newbs.