Re: [tor-talk] Alec Muffet "Tor is a very attractive proposition for secure networking"

On Thu, Jun 1, 2017 at 8:45 AM, Jason S. Evans <jsevans@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I've been wondering about the feasibility of using Tor for low level,
> low priority applications such as connecting servers with Saltstack,
> setting up Jabber servers, or IRC.

You can connect just about anything TCP to Tor or I2P, or even Phantom
and a couple other overlay networks.

But for Tor, if it's not TCP, you're screwed... because Tor seems to have
zero interest in providing a native means to transport other protocols
such as UDP *between onions*, or in developing or supporting the
plugins or other layers needed to do so.

Voice / Video / VOIP / chat apps often use UDP.
So do some DHTs that help make P2P apps like BT work.
Here's a very cool tool that uses UDP, designed in part for some
of the network anomalies common to overlay networks...

https://mosh.org/

And many application protocols are incompatible with onion addressing.

So you'll need OnionCat to do those and other cool things... :)

https://www.onioncat.org/
https://cypherpunk.at/onioncat_trac/

And you'll need to find some users and developers interested
in continuing / new development of such enabling tools / layers.
Because OnionCat is both unmaintained, and Tor is killing
it off with prop224 in a few years.