Re: [tor-talk] Digital IDs needed to end 'mob rule' online, says UK security minister Ben Wallace - Digital IDs should be brought in to end online anoymity that permits "mob rule" and lawlessness online, the securit

On Sun, 10 Jun 2018 16:38 mick, <mbm@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In the UK we are truly blessed. Home Office Ministers in general are
> not overly intelligent. I'm not entirely sure they are that way
> before they get to the HO, or the HO makes them that way after they take
> office. Either way they end up spouting dangerously delusional rubbish
> (think Amber Rudd's "hashtags").

The problem is, intelligent or not, they do sometimes achieve gains.
Sometimes through attrition by repeatedly repeatimg the same rubbish,
sometimes quietly in the background (see Theresa May's hostile environment).

So however patently stupid, this stuff still has to be addressed head on.
It's not the first time it (and similar) has been mooted in the UK (and not
just by Tory governments). The risk is they'll find support somewhere for
some half-cocked idea that fails to achieve it's objective but screws the
rest of us in the process (see Identity Verification for accessing porn).

As I see it, there are two complimentary ways to fight it.

Firstly, explain (again) why it's a stupid and flawed idea.

Second, keep building and supporting systems that help protect privacy and
anonymity online. That means running more tor relays as well as developing
new privacy friendly services etc. Essentially, make sure there are
alternatives that cannot be affected by whatever half-baked implementation
they try to foist on us.

The first should help erode any support they might claim to have, but the
second is important and carries benefits either way.

Mick