Re: memory usage slowly rising

On Mon, Mar 06, 2006 at 06:40:23PM -0500, Watson Ladd wrote:
> Looks like a memory leak.

Not necessarily. Using several hundred MB of memory for a fast Tor
server is not out of the question:
http://wiki.noreply.org/noreply/TheOnionRouter/TorFAQ#ServerMemory

That said, I believe there are some memory leaks on the server in the
experimental tree. Valgrind doesn't work on 64 bit, and I don't have any
32 bit servers anymore, so somebody should please valgrind the latest
cvs on a Tor server. Here's how you do it:

Rather than running "src/or/tor", you run
"valgrind --leak-check=yes --error-limit=no src/or/tor"
then it scrolls a whole lot of openssl errors which you ignore, and a
half hour or so later you ^c it, and it gives you a set of "definitely
leaked" and "possibly leaked" backtraces which you should mail to me.
Then I fix a few and we iterate the process.

This only works for 32-bit Linux and only if you know what you're doing.
But hopefully some people out there do. :)

> There is a java tor node implementation, and
> if its an issue you could switch. Which would use more memory is an
> open question.

As far as I know, there are two Tor client implementations in Java,
and zero Tor server implementations.

--Roger