Re: DNS

On Mon, Mar 20, 2006 at 09:26:11AM +0100, Lexi Pimenidis wrote:
> I haven't done library preloading yet myself, but wouldn't it be
> possible to overwrite gethostbyname() and insert a Tor-DNS-query there?
> Well, of course, one need to hack some of the Tor-Interfaces in order to
> make a DNS-lookup... like there are more than 200 unused command-codes
> in Socks4a.

See section 2 of
http://tor.eff.org/cvs/tor/doc/socks-extensions.txt

An example that uses it is
http://www.monkey.org/~dugsong/dsocks/

Possibly a better plan is to use the controller protocol's MAPADDRESS
command since this can save a round-trip. This is described in the second
task under http://tor.eff.org/volunteer#Usability and in more detail in
section 1.7 of http://tor.eff.org/cvs/control/doc/howto.txt

--Roger