Re: Building tracking system to nab Tor pedophiles

O.K. I've been biting my tongue on this one for a while now. I'll try to
keep this short as it is not specifically TOR related

As a survivor of childhood sexual abuse. I'm personally getting annoyed
by this whole "nab the paedophiles thing". for several reasons:

1.)  90+ percent of sexual abuse of children happen from family members
or friends of the family.. so wasting huge resources on 10% while
blatantly (and blissfully) ignoring the 90%, does society a huge
disservice. by focusing the public's attention on the smallest part of
the problem and away from the real problems.

2.) I can almost guarantee that his guys "key words" would trigger on
abuse survivors talking in an online support group and I can't even
begin to tell you how damaging it would be for an abuse survivor to have
to deal with being falsely accused of being a perp.

I think what needs to be done here is to create a FAQ or other standard
document that will 1.) inform the vastly misinformed public. 2.) list
places and ways they can make a difference.

 I do appreciate that people are actually trying to look at this.. it
would just be nice if they were looking at the real problem.

in short trying to destroy anonymity (which is necessary for many abuse
survivors to begin the healing process) to waste the courts time with
illegally obtained evidence, from chasing a small fraction of abusers,
while ignoring the real problem and misleading the public while doing so
is NOT a service to me nor to society in general.

To the people on this list that are all gung ho to stop internet
paedophiles I'd suggest you leave TOR alone and get involved with an
established group such as perverted justice
( http://www.perverted-justice.com/ ) who have a history of working with
law enforcement  and making a real difference. Better yet volunteer at
your local rape crisis centre. hound your government officials so perps
don't walk with a 6 mo sentence after abusing their children for years.
etc.

I do apologize for the lack of brevity and the slightly OT post.

'nuff said
Freemor

On Wed, 2007-07-03 at 05:28 +0000, Fergie wrote:
> Hmmm.
>
>  http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=114
>
> Comments?
>

> --
> "Fergie", a.k.a. Paul Ferguson
>  Engineering Architecture for the Internet
>  fergdawg(at)netzero.net
>  ferg's tech blog: http://fergdawg.blogspot.com/

------

Freemor <freemor@xxxxxxxx>
Freemor <freemor@xxxxxxxxxx>

This e-mail has been digitally signed with GnuPG