Re: TBBundle, Browser javascript

krishna e bera wrote:
On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 09:57:49PM +0000, Lee wrote:

I'm trying out the Tor Browser Bundle, and I see _javascript_ is enabled
in the browser. Can I turn this off or is that option required left on
for certain functionality in the bundle?

Torbutton, when enabled, protects you from many different types of
threats to anonymity and security, even when _javascript_ is turned on.
See https://torbutton.torproject.org/
for more information on what exactly it does and does not do.

However, _javascript_ is not required for either Torbutton or
Tor Browser Bundle functionality, so you can turn _javascript_ off
for additional security.

Thanks, Krishna.

I'd read up a little on the details, including how Torbutton mitigates 'all known' _javascript_ threats. However it did sound (to me) as if the Torbutton 'used' _javascript_ in some way, so I was unsure of whether the browser setting was critical.
I assume you speak from an informed standpoint, so thanks for clarifying I can indeed turn the _javascript_ off in the browser with no negative effects on the bundle's intended functionality.

Lee