Re: [tor-talk] torrc consistency

On Wed, Mar 09, 2011 at 02:56:57PM +0100, bertagaz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> I'm thinking to write a Config::Model package for tor, that might be
> usefull in the futur for projects like freedombox or even just for debian
> packaging.
>
> Point is that the torrc file as in its current state lacks a bit of
> consistency, and that makes it quite hard to parse it automatically.
>
> Seems that there are already kind of a convention in the way it is
> written :
>
> - Lines starting with '## ' are descriptions of a block of items
> - Lines starting with '#' are commented items.
> - Items are in the form of 'Item value'
> - Items sometimes have short descriptions/examples following them on the
>   same line, beginning by a #
>
> The last point is the one that lacks consistency. Sometimes items
> descriptions/examples are on top of the concerned item, sometimes on the
> same line, right after the item.
>
> That would make the job easier if there was a clear convention for this
> file, and if it was applied correctly everywhere.
>
> What do you think? What would be the best way to write this file?

See the discussion at

The "right" way to read or write the torrc file is to ask Tor to do it
for you, via the controller interface. Then you never have to care about
the format questions.

But that said, Tor blows away user-written comments when it does a
'saveconf'. So that answer doesn't address your questions either.

Which users did you have in mind as your target audience?

--Roger