Re: [tor-talk] high memory usage

On 03/18/2012 12:35 AM, eliaz wrote:
The only problem I have with the bridge I'm running is that for some
reason the memory used keeps climbing up, so that after three or four
days I have to reboot the machine. AFAICT rebooting doesn't affect the
bridge's usefulness much, but I can't do much else when the mem use
reaches 2.9 G. I recall seeing some discussion of this way back in
tor-talk, but can't find it. Can someone point me to it? [Running on
Vistax64 2.5 GHz dual core cpu, 4 G RAM] Thanks - eliaz

Weell, there's your problem.
Your using windows.

That right there is enough to kill any anonymity even if your using Tor.
Personally I have seen Windows machines become infected when:
It wasn't being used except once a week,
The user was one who had a reasonable knowledge of security (Me)
Anti-Virus (actually did not detect it..)
Incoming connections where heavily blocked (related,established)

You have plenty of RAM, run a virtual machine (virtualbox works great)
install debian on it (my personal choice) no gui.
give it 256MB of ram, no swap. (that's a LOT for this setup...swap off so that instead of freezing it just kills the process)
run Tor inside the VM.

Voila, ram usage will now NEVER exceed the size of the VM, and it's relatively easy to set up.
CPU usage for the VM will also be really low.

<http://anonymousads.com/userbar/160/click>