Re: [tor-talk] Problems installing Tor on my server

Hi,

On 03/03/2014 11:47 PM, Duncan Drury wrote:
> I'm trying to install Tor on my Centos5 server.  I have been running an old
> version of Tor as a relay for several years, installed via yum from one of
> the Centos repos.  I realised I wasn't doing anyone any favours by running
> an old version, and decided to upgrade.

I used to maintain EL5/Centos5 rpm packages, but had to stop, since it required
more and more workarounds as time progressed. The current stable 0.2.4.x
couldn't even be compiled by the distro's gcc - which in turn required
maintaining separate gcc toolchain with its various dependencies.

> I'm encountering errors, and wanted to know whether this is because tor now
> requires Centos > 5, or there is a simple solution to what I am seeing, or
> perhaps there is some problem with your repos.

In short, yes. You need CentOS 6. Otherwise you have to hand-build and maintain
all the parts *including compiler toolchain*.

Ondrej