Re: [tor-talk] Why does TBB use SOCKS and not HTTP(S)?

> Since the TBB is a web browser and the web uses HTTP(S), why is the HTTP
> settings not used.

All your HTTP(S) traffic is encapsulated into SOCKS
	https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SOCKS

With HTTP(S) proxies, you can only proxying HTTP(S) protocol, and not raw
socket.

> I understand that Tor also uses SOCKS (e.g. torsocks). But, even so, the
> browser uses HTTP(S). Why does the browser require SOCKS and not HTTP?

Tor doesnât really use SOCKS internaly, it only provide a SOCKS proxy server
to allow applications to communicate with the Tor network without modification
(provided it supports SOCKS proxy).

torsocks just replace standard TCP stack with a fake one (encapsulating TCP
socket into a  SOCKS socket Â) for application not supporting SOCKS proxy
natively.

Regards,
--
Aeris

ProtÃgez votre vie privÃe, chiffrez vos communications
GPG : EFB74277 ECE4E222
OTR : 922C97CA EC0B1AD3
https://cafÃ-vie-privÃe.fr/