Re: [tor-talk] [OT] Secure laptop advice

muc4dollol@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote (ao):
> Hi. I want to shop for laptop I can trust and ask for your opinions. I see
> grarpamp often state #openfab and things like that. But in today reality I
> think we still buy AMD or Intel parts and things I dont understand with
> new UEFI BIOS.
>
> puri.sm looks like quality laptops and good intentions company ethos but
> still using Intel so whats the difference to simply buy $400 laptop and
> use linux? Hardware switch for wifi is the only functional difference I
> see. What do other people think? What are other manufacturers I can
> consider?

https://puri.sm/learn/intel-me/

"Recent CPUs from Intel requires a binary called the “Management Engine”
(Intel ME, or ME for short). This binary is one of three parts required
if a business elects to use Intel’s Active Management Technology (AMT),
which Purism avoids. Purism laptops can function with a neutralized and
disabled ME [..]"

That said, I hope (and expect) they will bring out a laptop based on any
of the i.MX 8M cpu's they also use in their Librem 5.

I have no experience with their laptops (but have ordered the Librem 5).

    Sander