As for apps google playstore is quite a dangerous place. There are apps like OpenAPPs and others that include or 'emulate' partial google services/apps.

As mentioned fdroid and others like guardian try to keep privacy a priority. Most everday use apps can be found at sites like these. Android allows 'system-wide' vpn so firewall-like apps can block or route most traffic and give you an idea of the horrendous amount of undesireable traffic. Those include Orbot, Netguard, Tor Browser and the likes. Gets tricky stacking some of these together.

In all I guess I'm trying to say that perfect privacy is still a fallicy for most but you are probably aware of that. It does take a lot of digging to find something that will work for you and be somewhat happy with ;-/

On 2019-03-21 2:22 a.m., tortalk@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
muc4dollol@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote (ao):
Interesting about hardware advice but also concerned for O/S. Are
people excited for puri.sm Librem phone or skeptikal?
I am very exicted about the upcoming Librem 5 for several reasons:

o Purism has a proven track record with both hardware (their laptops)
   and software.
o The NXP i.MX 8M family of cpu's is apparently relatively open.
o The expected hardware is powerfull: four core cpu, at least 3GB
   of memory, 32GB storage, 5.5" 720×1440 display:
   https://puri.sm/faq/what-are-the-phone-specs/

And on a more personal note:

o I'm quite done with Google and their hunger for information.
o My Android phone is eol software wise (4,4.2), (but not hardware,
   which makes me sad from an environmental perspective).
o I've owned an Openmoko GTA02 years ago so I already know this will not
   be a smooth ride.

It seems the timing for a new Linux phone is spot on.

FTR: I've ordered a Librem 5.

     Sander