Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 15:08:06 -0700 (PDT)
From: Matt Ghali <matt@xxxxxxxxx>
To: or-talk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Tor 0.1.0.6-rc is out

Autoconf should probably search a path of usual suspects, as it does
for the openssl libraries.

matto

On Mon, 16 May 2005, Roger Dingledine wrote:

  On Sun, May 15, 2005 at 12:38:04PM +0200, Ron Davis wrote:
  > I just installed it on FreeBSD 4.11. Being a relative layman at FreeBSD,
  > I encountered just one minor "problem" during installation.
  >
  > After I had installed libevent 1.1, I ran ./configure for Tor. It
  > reported "libevent library not found".
  >
  > Somewhere on the net, I found this string:
  >
  > CPPFLAGS="-I/usr/local/include" LDFLAGS="-L/usr/local/lib" \
  > ./configure
  >
  > ...which worked.

  Right, this is because your libevent installs itself in /usr/local/,
  yet your system isn't configured to look for anything there.

  I consider this a bug with the bsd's. :(

  Maybe you should build libevent with --prefix=/usr ?

  We've been pondering making Tor's autoconf automatically append
  -I/usr/local/include and -L/usr/local/lib if they seem needed, but this
  is a dangerous path to go down.

  Our current thoughts are, if it looks like you don't have libevent,
  your autoconf should go see if it looks like it's in /usr/local but not
  in your ld.so.conf or includepath, and if so, spit out an error message
  that tells you to run the command you quote above if you really mean that.

  Is there a better way to do this? Should we just automate it anyway and
  accept the fact that sometimes the bsd folks will get weird behavior if
  they're relying on the current (broken) paths?

  Hm.
  --Roger

--matt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<darwin><
              The only thing necessary for the triumph
              of evil is for good men to do nothing. - Edmund Burke

----- End forwarded message -----