Re: [tor-talk] Tor's reputation problem with pedo, some easy steps the community could take

To the uninformed, Tor can conjure up the image of criminals or other scary boogeymen, especially if someone desires to push the discussion in such a direction.  That's why I posted this example of the New Yorker's system.  It's a real world example of a long and well known entity that doesn't exist on the fringe taking full advantage of what is offered by Tor's hidden services. For PR purposes, it's great because it is something they can be shown.  It provides a very good escape from the hypothetical or philosophical games that people play that speculate on both the "evil" and "good" uses of Tor.  Plenty of us have been playing that game for years where we try to mention the good people do with Tor's hidden services.  But, for those who have never even used Tor, it's hard for them to comprehend.  Now there is a very tangible and accessible example they can see.  Thus, it's good PR, especially when someone wants to talk about illegal pornography
 on which there is no true metric.

----- Original Message -----
From: David Vorick <david.vorick@xxxxxxxxx>
To: "tor-talk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <tor-talk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, May 17, 2013 1:50 PM
Subject: Re: [tor-talk] Tor's reputation problem with pedo,
 some easy steps the community could take

Except I think that in this case Tor is a bit more like a gun than a screw
driver. The good purposes aren't always obvious and the nefarious purposes
are on the forefront of public attention a lot more. It's not a perfect
analogy but I think you see what I'm getting at.

The purpose of Tor is to liberate people from state control and censorship.
Informally, the purpose of Tor is to help people break rules. We support
Tor because we want oppressive rules to be broken but ultimately it's an
anarchist tool, and that's something that's not going to sit well with the
public.