[tor-talk] Tor Weekly News â May 14th, 2014

Tor Weekly News                                           May 14th, 2014

Welcome to the nineteenth issue of Tor Weekly News in 2014, the weekly
newsletter that covers what is happening in the Tor community.

Tor Browser 3.6.1 is released
-----------------------------

On May 7th, version 3.6.1 of the Tor Browser was releasedÂ[1]. Apart
from updating HTTPS Everywhere and NoScript, the new release mainly
solves a regression experienced by proxy usersÂ[2].

The new version should not error out with âYou have configured more than
one proxy typeâ anymore.

   [1]:Âhttps://blog.torproject.org/blog/tor-browser-361-released
   [2]:Âhttps://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/11658

More monthly status reports for April 2014

More monthly reports from Tor project members have arrived this week
with submissions from Nicolas VigierÂ[3] and Roger DingledineÂ[4].

Roger also sent the report for SponsorFÂ[5]. The Tails team has released
theirsÂ[6].

   [3]:Âhttps://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-reports/2014-May/000531.html
   [4]:Âhttps://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-reports/2014-May/000533.html
   [5]:Âhttps://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-reports/2014-May/000532.html
   [6]:Âhttps://tails.boum.org/news/report_2014_04/

Miscellaneous news
------------------

ooniprobe 1.0.2 has been releasedÂ[7]. The new version brings security
fixes, a manpage, a test for Tor bridge reachability among other
improvements.

   [7]:Âhttps://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/ooni-dev/2014-May/000114.html

As the Tor blog should migrate away from its current decaying
softwareÂ[8], Eric Schaefer wroteÂ[9] to tell that he had extracted all
blog posts in a format ready for a static site generator. Comments are
also available.  One option would be to import them in a dedicated
commenting system. Tom Purl has setupÂ[10] a test Juvia instance for
anyone who wish to give it a shot.

   [8]:Âhttps://bugs.torproject.org/10022
   [9]:Âhttps://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/www-team/2014-May/000316.html
  [10]:Âhttps://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/www-team/2014-May/000318.html

David Fifield releasedÂ[11] a new round of Tor Browser packages modified
to include meekÂ[12]. âUnlike previous bundlesÂ[â], these ones arenât
configured to use meek automatically. You have to select âConfigureâ on
the network settings screen and then choose meek from the list of
transports.â Please give them a try!

  [11]:Âhttps://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-qa/2014-May/000410.html
  [12]:Âhttps://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/meek

Isis Lovecruft rewroteÂ[13] the email bridge distributor in order to fix
some fundamental design problems with the old code. Reviews are welcome.

  [13]:Âhttps://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-dev/2014-May/006856.html

Tor help desk roundup
---------------------

A relay operator contacted the Tor Help Desk after seeing the following
message in the Tor log: âhttp status 400 ("Fingerprint is marked
rejected") response from dirserver '128.31.0.34:9131'â.

One might see this message is if oneâs relay was found to be vulnerable
to the Heartbleed OpenSSL bug and subsequently removed from the Tor
consensus. Instructions for upgrading oneâs relayÂ[14] are on the Tor
projectâs blog.

  [14]:Âhttps://blog.torproject.org/blog/openssl-bug-cve-2014-0160

Upcoming events
---------------

May 14 19:00 UTC | little-t tor development meeting
                 | #tor-dev, irc.oftc.net
                 | https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-dev/2014-March/006616.html

May 16 15:00 UTC | Tor Browser online meeting
                 | #tor-dev, irc.oftc.net
                 | https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tbb-dev/2014-April/000049.html

May 18-21        | 35th IEEE Symposium on Security and Privacy

May 27-28        | Tor @ Stockholm Internet Forum
                 | Stockholm, Sweden
                 | http://www.stockholminternetforum.se/

This issue of Tor Weekly News has been assembled by Lunar,
Matt Pagan, Karsten Loesing and Roger Dingledine.

Want to continue reading TWN? Please help us create this newsletter.
We still need more volunteers to watch the Tor community and report
important news. Please see the project pageÂ[15], write down your
name and subscribe to the team mailing listÂ[16] if you want to
get involved!

  [15]:Âhttps://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/TorWeeklyNews