Re: [tor-talk] Firefox, Adobe, and DRM

    Hi Paul,

 It's actually more complicated than this. Since pretty much everyone at
Mozilla hates DRM, we took the least evil option that did not involve
project suicide.

Adobe will implement a sandboxed proprietary black box plug-in for
decoding DRM-ed data. We will provide an API to make it work and the
ability for users to download the plug-in (very streamlined, most likely).

The DRM code will *not* be part of Firefox. While the internal API
hasn't been designed or implemented yet, I suspect that toggling a
preference will be sufficient to remove the streamlined mode for
downloading the plug-in. I am pretty sure most Firefox devs will toggle
off that preference – I am certainly planning to.

Alternatively, TorBrowser should be able to use IceWeasel, the entirely
free fork of Firefox. This fork doesn't offer h.264 and will certainly
similarly deactivate the DRM-related code.

Cheers,
 David

P.S.: I haven't heard about money changing hands, although I wouldn't be
surprised if we had to pay Adobe for that. Whether you decide to believe
me is, of course, your choice.

--
David Rajchenbach-Teller, PhD
 Performance Team, Mozilla