Re: Marketing Tor (Was Re: For those using Tor with windows)

On Wed, Nov 16, 2005 at 09:56:33AM -0500, Jeffrey F. Bloss wrote:

> I don't believe this is the case though. These three or four Tor clients are
> being used as access points to the existing, free Tor network we all know and
> love. They're  using the network's anonymity, cover traffic, and the
> bandwidth donated by node owners, for profit.  If it were a private network
> scenario I agree... it wouldn't be an issue at all.

Allright, these are sleazy scumbags.

> I would certainly hope that at the very *least* a for-profit Tor node would
> function as a public node, and help move "normal" Tor traffic along with
> traffic generated by its customers.

The problem is that you can't guarantee a given latency and throughput
with a network outside your control. Of course, one could also sell
VServers connected with OpenVPN, with Tor/Privoxy which would participate
on the network, when in use. Getting users to pay for the traffic they're not
generating, even if it's relatively cheap (say, 0.20 EUR/GByte) won't be
too easy, though.

> But as you say this is mostly a matter of personal ethics. Some people have
> them, some don't.
>
> I for one would be willing to pay for private network access, by the way. :) I

Do you think there's a business potential in a OpenVPN-based darknet?

> can see a serious gain in throughput from a network of machines with
> commercial, more "fully bi-directional" connections. And given enough nodes

Root server prices are quite low these days, as is traffic, and the trend
is further down.

> of course, it would be nearly as secure as a free public supported version
> with the notable exception that a commercial entity is a single point of
> compromise. The conspiracy nut in me could envision a scenario where an owner

A few commercial entities peering traffic (I'll route yours if you route
mine) would be quite immune against that attack.

I'm a bit pessimistic about users being ready to pay for commercial
anonymizing services. We'll see..

--
Eugen* Leitl <a href="http://leitl.org";>leitl</a>