Re: still slow browsing

Thus spake gabrix (gabrix@xxxxxxxxxxxxx):

> I have already written about this but now it's red light ... i badly
> want to keep my tor node otherways  i would have already removed the tor
> server but i cannot get on like this.I recently also had from my isp a
> bandwidth upgrade to  2MB(they say ... it's TIM!)and i still suffer of
> slow browsing .I also just using the or port and commented the dir port
> and added this in my /etc/tor/torrc
>
> > BandwidthRate 20KB
> > BandwidthBurst 20KB
>
> The minimum possible , isn't?
> I'm actually trying this guide
>
> > http://wiki.noreply.org/noreply/TheOnionRouter/CronBandwidthLimit
>
> And i'm going to wait for a minimal iptables script that is going to
> deal with this problem .Yes you got it! i'm waiting this script from you
> , it's 2 mounthes i'm trying out but i don't know how to do it properly
> and you saw my previous posts i tryied it.Sorry guys i hope you
> collaborate otherways i will be forced to close the node ... i don't
> want to but help help help !

Well, if you're willing to sink some time into it, you can try to
follow the ADSL bandwidth shaper howto:

http://www.faqs.org/docs/Linux-HOWTO/ADSL-Bandwidth-Management-HOWTO.html
(Gentoo version: http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Packet_Shaping)

Unfortunately it's probbaly hard to do if you're running an exit node
and there are lots of exit ports, unless you have spare IPs and can
use one for the Tor node and one for normal traffic. This is what I
do. My script based on this howto is attached. It works EXTREMELY well
(Tor load has NO effect on normal traffic. I don't rely on
BandwidthRate/BandwidthBurst at all).

The key property is that you cap your total bandwith through the box
(via the shaper) to be slightly lower than your link bandwidth so that
your box controls the queue size and thus ordering, not your uplink
provider.

I haven't posted my script anywhere cause I figured that having a
spare IP for your Tor node is probably pretty rare. However if you are
not an exit and thus only have one port for Tor traffic, it should be
readily adaptable based on port instead of IP.

--
Mike Perry
Mad Computer Scientist