Re: first hop to entry node, encrypted? sorry for trivial question

On Tuesday 06 November 2007 16:47:15 Jefferson Iblis wrote:
> On Nov 6, 2007 8:55 AM, Florian Reitmeir <florian@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Tue, 06 Nov 2007, Jefferson Iblis wrote:
> > > I've heard variously that Tor does encrypt my communications with my
> > > entry node, and also that it does not. Which is true?
> >
> > Communication between:
> >         Your Host -> Tor Entry Node
> >         is encrypted
>
> Thanks. Then I'm a little perplexed about why it's preferable to use a
> limited number of entry guards to avoid traffic analysis.

Because it reduces the chances of you happening upon someone who owns both the
entry and the exit node on your circuit. If someone owns both they can
perform a bit of timing analysis and figure out who you are and where you're
going.

See this thread

http://archives.seul.org/or/talk/Dec-2006/msg00002.html

particularly this mail

http://archives.seul.org/or/talk/Dec-2006/msg00007.html

for what can happen if the same guy owns all three nodes.

> If the connection between me and the entry guard is encrypted, and all
> I'm telling the entry guard is "please pass this encrypted stream to
> next specified tor server", what is the danger? Can the entry guard
> see my traffic, or do they just see another layer of encryption?

Just another layer of encryption. They can't 'read your traffic'.