RE: Distribution of bridge information

I think we should implement a captcha ASAP on bridges.torproject.org. I don't know why it hasn't been done it's a big security hole for the whole network.

Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2009 08:54:53 -0500
Subject: Distribution of bridge information
From: ryanday2@xxxxxxxxx
To: or-talk@xxxxxxxx

I was playing around with an idea of how to distribute bridge information on a mass scale without censor groups being able to automate the process of collecting and filtering the bridges.  I came up with a pretty simple script that contacts bridges.torproject.org, grabs some bridge info, and obfuscates it using the same methods that CAPTCHA systems use to obfuscate images. Now people can read the bridge info, but machines can't(most of the time).

I've put this together as a Wordpress plugin that is available at

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/obfuscator/

What this plugin does is grab bridge information, cache it, and obfuscate it for display on your blog.  Since that bridge information won't update for that IP, the plugin only contacts the site about once a day for new information.

My goal here is to allow people everywhere to help distribute bridge information without increasing the chance it will be filtered.  This will hopefully help people in firewalled countries be able to get on the Tor network a little easier.

I'm interested in your thoughts and comments and criticisms.  Is this a good idea?  Do you think people will use it and it will be beneficial?  Is it good but needs improvement?  Also where else could bridge information be grabbed from(rss, twitter, etc)?

Thanks for any comments!

Nouveau! Découvrez le Windows phone Samsung Omnia II disponible chez SFR. Cliquez ici