Re: Danish TPB DNS Blocks

Flamsmark wrote:

2009/11/26 Scott Bennett <bennett@xxxxxxxxxx <mailto:bennett@xxxxxxxxxx>>
        Bzzzt!!  That would eventually get an exit marked as a bad exit,
    too.
    Why?  Because the root name servers serve only information in the root
    domain and the so-called top-level domains (e.g., .com, .edu, .gov,
    .info,
    .mil, country domains, and so on).  They are much, much too busy to act
    as forwarders, so if you ask for anything that they don't serve
    themselves,
    you will get a "no answers" response.

How odd. I use the root servers on my personal machine, and have never noticed this phenomenon. If you are correct, does DNS work? How does a user know which DNS servers are authoritative for other blocks?

I think Scott jumped the gun a bit. It's true that if you use them directly as your authoritative resolvers (i.o.w. write them into /etc/resolv.conf), this doesn't work.

Writing them in as the root hints for a full featured resolver (BIND, dnscache, etc.) works a lot better.

Ideally, you run your own caching resolver and have every other host in the local site use that caching resolver, which uses the root DNS servers as hint servers.